There is really no other landscape like it in Central Australia.
Curtin Springs Walks are designed for those who are looking to step gently into the environment and to appreciate being in the landscape. The combination of ancient and vast salt lakes, different land types each with their unique features and textures, and the ever present moods of the grand Mt Conner, are sure to embed Curtin Springs into your memory forever. The walking tracks take advantage of the changing light during the day and Mt Conner in the late afternoon light will take your breath away.
With the huge backdrop it is easy to feel very small in this vast landscape. Both walks are in constantly changing environments. It is never the same from one day to the next. The intricacies of mother nature are fascinating and ever changing.
It is no wonder that during a Curtin Springs Walk, people start to unwind and enjoy the peace and pace of this remote part of Australia.
- There are a choice of walks over one or two days – the Salt Lakes walk and the Mt Conner Base Walk.
- Full Moon walks allow you to experience the splendor of the full moon rising over the salt lakes, after enjoying a setting sun in the desert landscape.
Balancing cattle production with nature
Curtin Springs has been home to the Severin family since 1956, when Peter Severin arrived with his young wife Dawn, their toddler son Ashley and 1,500 head of cattle.
On a Curtin Springs Walk you can hear how this history has protected the million acre wildlife corridor that balances cattle production with conservation of this precious landscape.
Beef production is intrinsically linked to the conservation of our land and they work together hand in hand.
Your guide will not only interpret the landscape’s natural history and the workings of mother nature, but life from the cattle’s point of view also.
Seeing one of the station’s cattle yards on the way to your walk will help to tell the story and you will see how we use water to muster cattle.
You may even see one or two of our Murray Grey cows whilst on your walk. Don’t forget, they have a big home to graze on, so you might not see them at all!
Your own private guide
The walks are designed to give you surprises along the way.
- Your private guide will share their in-depth knowledge of the landscape as you pass through varied environments such as sandhills and spinifex, mulga, stony plains and open saltbush.
- Each walk has a different combination of land types. The details in the land types are endless, and so are the views, especially of the 300 metre high Mt Conner.
- The pace allows ample time for photos and to observe points of interest along the way. Finish the day with a refreshing ale at sunset and return to the homestead for dinner and some tall tale telling.
A CHOICE OF WALKS
These walks take you to 4 different salt lakes.
Drive past some of our cattle yards along the way to the start of your walk.
When you reach the salt lakes you will experience a landscape that is unique to the region.
The different surfaces of each lake, the changing light and Mt Conner appearing and disappearing from view on the horizon, provide the big picture in which you can focus on the intricacies of the delicate and fragile environment.
Mt Conner Base
The exclusive walking tracks allow walkers to enjoy the closest access to Mt Conner.
The grandeur and presence of Mt Conner is always there as you explore the valley at its base.
The sheer size of the mountain throughout the day reminds you of your place in nature.
Around the mountain, the land types and terrain are very different to the salt lakes and your private guide will share how both flora and fauna survive in this harsh but fragile landscape.
Full Moon Walks
Full Moon walks concentrate on the sunset and the rising of the full moon over the surface of our largest crystalline salt lake.
Full Moon Walks are the only walks that are permitted to spend the walk entirely on the surface of the lake.
•One & two day options for each walk. Easy grade, day packs.
• One day walks – 15km approx. Two day walks – 30km approx.
• Walks are offered as fully inclusive packages.
• All walks include a private guide, all meals and trail snacks, and a complimentary drink at the end of each day.
• One day walks include 2 nights accommodation.
•Two day walks include 3 nights accommodation.
•Full Moon Walks include 1 nights accommodation.
This information, the dates for the upcoming walks and pricing is all available in our Curtin Springs Walks – Information Pack.
Download a copy of the Curtin Springs Walks brochure.
Please contact us for more information or if you have any questions about making a booking.
Thank you to Paul Hogan for use of some of his amazing Full Moon Walk photos.Check availability and Book Now